Juan Martin del Potro ready to return from injury

Monday, September 27, 2010

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro will make his return from an eight-month injury lay-off at the Thailand Open in Bangkok this week.
The Argentine, 22, was unable to defend his Flushing Meadows title last month as he recovered from a wrist injury.
He joins world number one Rafael Nadal - the man who took his US Open crown - in Bangkok, with the Argentine playing Belgium's Olivier Rochus in round one.
Nadal has a first-round bye and could face Del Potro in the quarter-finals.
"I feel very happy to be back at a tournament again for the first time in eight months. Living this life again is great for me," Del Potro told the ATP World Tour.
"I feel in good shape to start again. I'm healthy and I've been getting better and better week by week and now I'm ready to play. I just want to go on the court and enjoy myself.
"My first opponent will be difficult and we will see how I will feel. Of course, I would like to play against Rafa in the quarter-finals. He's number one and just completed the career Grand Slam. He's a great champion."
Del Potro has not played since the Australian Open in January and had surgery on his wrist in May to try and cure the problem.
He became the first man other than Nadal to beat Roger Federer in the final of a Grand Slam tournament at the US Open last September, but began struggling with tendinitis in his right wrist the following month.
The 6ft 6in Argentine still finished the 2009 season at a career-high fifth in the world rankings after reaching the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in London, losing to Nikolay Davydenko.
He then suffered a recurrence of the injury in the new year and continued to struggle with the problem at the Australian Open, losing in the fourth round to Marin Cilic.
Eight months on the sidelines have seen Del Potro's ranking fall from a high of four last November to his current position of 35th.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))